Monday, June 1, 2009

Looks Can be Deceiving

As many of you know I love to cook, bake, and generally spend a good amount of time in the kitchen. So what's the kitchen like in The Pitt? Well it leaves a lot to be desired. Let's focus on the appliances:


This is where looks can be deceiving. The dishwasher? Not hooked up. Now many have pointed out to me that the dishwasher is probably one of the cleanest places in the house. I mean, it's only used for washing, right? I just don't trust it. It looks OK on the inside, but take a look at the range below. Would you trust anything that came from a house where the range looked like this?



They were using this to cook food on people. FOOD! FOOD THAT WAS MEANT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION!!! OF COURSE I DON'T TRUST THE DISHWASHER!! I have to admit that I have been considering it. Did you see the clean dishes above the dishwasher? We do a lot of dish washing and it's getting old.

I don't have an oven, so baking is out. Although I did briefly experiment with crock pot baking, I decided that waiting for the real oven may be worth it. Let me introduce you to my kitchen cooking tools:

The Cuisinart Electric Skillet. This is the BEST thing ever if you don't have a real kitchen. It's an extra burner - the only one I have right now that really works. I make a lot of potatoes here. Roasted potatoes, onion potatoes, slightly boiled potatoes, potatoes and cauliflower. This is my #1 recommended cooking appliance for those of you without a kitchen.

The hot plate. UL approved. This means that my house shouldn't blow up if I use it properly. It also means that it takes this thing 45 MINUTES TO BOIL WATER!! Those sweet potatoes? They've been on there for 1 hour. SWEET POTATOES?!?!? Sigh. I try to avoid the hotplate as much as possible, or if necessary I'll pre-heat for 30 minutes.

The good news is that if we can successfully cut out the nasty range, remove cabinetry from underneath, run the correct 6-3 wire to the kitchen, and situate the oven - I may have one sooner than later. Maybe the Kitchen Aids will make an appearance again!

No comments: