Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Curtain

The master closet has a window in it. This is thanks to Bob's suggestion that we should have natural daylight to save on energy costs. The window was installed, it all looked great, except for one tiny thing. There was no window covering. Granted the master closet window faces the backyard, where there are woods, no neighbors, but still, it was always a big creepy if I caught myself without my shirt on in there. So the obvious choice was for me to sew a curtain for the room. I presented this idea to Bob and his response was, "You know honey, this is the master closet, and I think your curtains were fine in our apartments, but we should have something a little nicer in here, don't you think?" Well it was on? Me sew inferior curtains? I don't think so. Granted my last curtain attempt resulted in 4 curtains, all different sizes, but they were adequate and did the job. So I set off to find fabric to make the curtain extravaganza happen.


Step 1: Buy fabric. Bob says, "Shouldn't you call Reenie and see how to do
this right?"
Step 2: Take fabric and measure it to the window.
Step 3: Realize that I should have measured window before purchasing fabric.
Step 4: Return fabric. Bob calls Reenie himself to try to get me help.
Step 5: Buy new fabric in measured amount.
Step 6: Cut out fabric and bicker with Bob that I am not doing this correctly and clearly I need to call in a professional (Reenie) to help with the situation.
Step 7: Iron fabric
Step 8: Set up sewing machine I have not used in 3 years since last curtain making attempt. Bob still convincing me that I need to consult with Reenie.
Step 9: Begin sewing along ironed seams.
Step 10: Have the bobbin (what the heck is that again?) get stuck and a good piece of the material gets ripped.
Step 11: Proceed on. I mean there was plenty of extra material cut, right?
Step 12: Finish curtain and hang it on the window.
Step 13: Realize that the curtain is 5 inches too short. 5 inches!?!?!? How does that happen?
Step 14: Realize that the fabric was wide enough to cut another window panel.
Step 15: Start from beginning and repeat Steps 7 and 9.
Step 16: Finish curtain. Finally. It fits. I swear - because I am a master of sewing. In fact I am a sewing genius.
Step 17: Pack up sewing machine for another 3 years of storage.

Reenie or Mama B, can we please get together for sewing lessons soon?

4 comments:

Reenie said...

Great post :D And I am proud of the end result- even without help. and sure, anytime you want sewing lessons, you just let me know ;)

Jessica Erin said...

GOOD JOB!!!

I have yet to put a curtain up in my bedroom. It's too wide for normal sized curtains, pre-made in the store... so when I need more darkening, I nail a blanket up, yes... I said NAIL a BLANKET. HAHA Perhaps this post will motivate me to try... Thanks Ors!

BOrsi said...

I'm sure you can do it. Just don't call Bob for the motivation.

Mrs Z said...

We have a beach towel hanging in one window in Jake's room because the blinds broke. Obviously I do not sew, nor have we had a chance to get custom size blinds. So basically, I admire you!